The Who, When, Where, What and Hows of National Drive Electric Week (NDEW) Poolesville Day Event
This Page was Last Updated: July 7, 2021, at 8:00 am ET for the event on Sept 18, 2021.
Who is attending: (All need to register at: https://poolesville.green/NDEW or https://driveelectricweek.org/event?eventid=2620) and click on going on the Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/756655328591511
- General Visiting Public: People interested in learning more about Electric (EV) and Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEV).
- Vehicles: EV/PHEVs. You are what makes our show! Thank you for coming and giving your time.
- Volunteers: anyone who wants to help: Setup, During the Event, Shutting Down
- Vendors: Dealerships, Manufactures, and Product Vendors
- Parade Vehicles: Those Vehicles that will be in the parade (you will be or have been notified by email)
- CosPlay Walkers: The 501st Oldline, the Mandalorian Mercs, Rebel Alliance Terrapin Base, Other Cosplayers.
When: September 18, 2021, from 10:00 am – 4:00 pm (with early arrival for setup volunteers, and Parade participants).
- Vehicles may arrive between 7 am and 10:15 am and then after the parade at 11:30 am until the end of the day. If you arrive between 10:15 am and 11:30 am, you will have to park at the High School parking lot until the parade has finished. You may come in (or leave) from across the field from W Willard Rd anytime.
- 7:00 – 8:00 am – Setup Volunteers should show up at the parking lot behind Basset’s (Volunteers always needed)
- 7:00 – 10:15 am – Any Vendor Vehicles that will be giving Test Drive or Rides should park in the designated lot right behind Bassets (no vehicles should on Elgin Road after 10 am until the parade is finished, about 11:15 am). Once the parade ends (about 11:15 am, Dealerships’ and Manufacturers’ cars can move onto Elgin Rd, where Test Drives/Rides will start and end on. Vehicle Owners giving test drives can do so from the designated parking lot.
- 8:00 am – 10:00 am – Helper Volunteers should show up and check in.
- 8:30 – 8:45 am – Parade Vehicles line up on Elgin Rd. Parade Walkers (participating in the parade) should start walking (or better, see if you can get a ride /w a parade car) to Cattail Rd. to line up for the parade
- Right at 9:00 am – Parade Vehicles will follow the parade leader to Cattail Rd to line up for the parade
- 10:00 am – 4:00 pm – Event Starts. Vendors are expected to be there for the entire event. Participants may stay for the whole event, but you can arrive and depart as desired.
- 1:00 pm – Tesla Model X Owners: Start your “Christmas Easter Egg” dance!
- 1:00 pm+ – Small speech and 1st Free Public Gifts Drawing
- 3:00 pm – 2nd Free Public Gifts Drawing
- 3:30 pm – Driver Only Free Gifts Drawing
- 4:00 pm – Close up and shut down.
- NDEW Show: Poolesville Parking Lot at Rt 109 and Rt 107 (Anytime Fitness Parking lot across from Basset’s Restaurant), 19950 Fisher Ave. Poolesville, MD 20837
We will use the whole Anytime Parking lot, the 2nd (or farther out) parking lot behind Bassets and we will share the field area next to and behind the Bassett’s parking with the cars from the Classic Car Show. See Map 1 below.
- Directions: Route 107 (Fisher Ave) will be closed to traffic from Wootton Ave to Elgin Rd. To get to the NDEW event: (Map available: Pvl NDEW Map 2017 Rev1)
From Maryland (South): you will come up Wootton Ave and turn right on Elgin Rd.
From the Virginia side (Northen): you can enter at Elgin and Fisher, but you will have to ask the police to let you through. A better way may be to drive down W Willard Rd, turn left on Wootton Ave (before the high school), and left on Elgin Rd. There will be a caravan, if you are coming from Virginia, with a photo opp on White Ferry. This was organized by MD Volt, who has partnered with us on this event. Check out: https://www.meetup.com/preview/MDVolt/events/236042188
- Everyone must check-in at the “Check-In” Tent when they arrive, even if you have pre-registered (If you have not, please do: https://poolesville.green/NDEW. We will ask for your email (for next year’s event) and you will get a “Swag Bag”, an event T-Shirt, and raffle tickets. If you have not claimed your shirt by 3 pm, we may no longer have it or at least one in your requested size.
General Visiting Public:
- Welcome, all! You are what this event is all about.
- Please register for the latest updates (https://poolesville.green/NDEW).
- Please ask questions! We all love to share the pros and the cons of EV driving.
- Take Test Drives! Many are offering Test Rides and Drives, ask at the check-in tent (qualifies for free drawings).
- General Parking is available at several locations around the area (to be announced soon) with a free shuttle to the event in an all-new, all-electric, Montgomery County Commuter Bus. Parking at the Poolesville High School may not be available due to construction. (NOTE: if this changes we will post it).
- Setting up Tents? If you are setting up 10X10 or 12X12 popup tents and tables (not supplied by us). Please check in at the RV as to where you can set up. Preference is giving to those how sponsored our event (provided donations), then first come first serve. (Donations of $250 or more or equal value items for free raffle drawings) can be donated. Send JD Taylor an email for instructions.
- Parking: You may park in the 2 lots behind Anytime Fitness, please JD Taylor for instructions. Please confirm where you parked when you check in at the RV.
- You may arrive as you like, but if you want to be in the parade, you must be ready by 9:15 am so you have time to get to Cattail Rd by 9:30 am. Space will be available as early as 7:30 am to use as a changing room. There will be coffee there and other drinks (donuts if I can get them). Food will be available at the food trucks and nearby restaurants. Space for gear will be made available.
- Parking: You may park in the 2 lots behind Anytime Fitness. Please confirm where you parked when you check-in at the main tent.
- Thank you again for coming and have a great time. There is a lot of family fun activities, so bring your friends and family.
- 1:00 pm (just after) Public Drawing (includes drivers).
- 3:00 pm (just after) Public Drawing (includes drivers). EGO products.
- 3:30 pm Registered Driver Drawing. This is for all registered drivers (must be registered as bringing a vehicle). This will include the Level II home wall charger, donated by Bosch through MD Volt.
- Drawings Details see: https://poolesville.green/free-drawing-details/
Charging: Charging is not available during the show. There are two Level II chargers in town that will be available before 7 am and after 5 pm. A few locals have Level II chargers and/or Tesla wall charges at their houses and may share them if you ask. Contact me ()
- Keep an eye on for updates at:
- Register with NDEW at https://poolesville.green/NDEW if you have not already.
- Use the Facebook event to mark your calendars: https://www.facebook.com/events/184872535748002/
- Share your thoughts and photos at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/PoolesvilleNDEW/
- Coming Soon: I will add a site to view and share event photos soon.
Everyone, please remember to share your knowledge and joy of being an EV owner (or dealership/manufacturer). Be friendly and honest with the public, avoid arguments. There are many out there that believe that a diesel pickup truck is the only way to go, and that is fine. Don’t argue. We share the space and want them to be well represented.
About our CosPlayer Guest: Please thank our cosplay friends (the Star Wars local 501st and Rebel units and others). There are here supporting our host non-profit Poolesville.Green. Like you, they are all volunteers and here on their own time. They love to pose in photos for you but give them credit and donations are nice too (they are non-profit too and support good causes). I’ll list their web pages below. You may bring your own food and non-alcoholic drinks (there are several local bars in town if you like). No real firearms please (except for local law enforcement or feds).
Walkers (cosplayers) Web addresses:
- the Mandalorian Mercs
- more to follow…
EV/PHEV Parking: The parking fields hold up well, even in rain, so you are welcome to park there. Due to the high number of Teslas coming, we are trying to have most of the Teslas park in the field area (marked as “Mostly Tesla Parking”) and others parked in the “Mixed EV Parking”). Reality, you can park where you want, I would ask if you have a custom vehicle or if you are staying all day and love to show off your car, park in the “Mixed EV Parking” or close to the Checkin Tent. Our main goal is to show off EVs to the general public and I think this will help us do that.
General Parking (Non-EV/PHEV): PLEASE do not park with the Electric Vehicles! There is parking close to the NDEW event or a shuttle will be provided (shown at the bottom left of the maps). Park there and walk up Elgin Road. Other parking can be found around the Poolesville area. See https://poolesville.green/public-parking/
Vendor or Sponsor (and Media/VIP) Parking: Vendors and Sponsors are allowed into the show area before 10 am to unload, but must move all non-EVs out after 10 am. We have special close to the event parking available, please contact me at .
The map above is showing the Town of Poolesville (click on for enlarged view) and how to get to our event around the closed roads. The National Drive Electric Week Poolesville Day Event is on the far left. The green lines depict a way to enter the event and to bypass the closed roads (roadblocks in Red).
Directions from Virginia: If you come from the Leesburg area, you can drive up Rt 15 to Whites Ferry (if it is not closed due to weather or otherwise, get updates at https://www.facebook.com/pg/WhitesFerry/posts/, Warning: Watch for the Speed Camera before reaching Poolesville! Turn right on W Willard Road (see map above). If the Ferry is closed (check Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pg/WhitesFerry/posts/): This adds about 35 minutes and 25 miles – continue on 15 across the bridge to Maryland. Turn right on to Rt 28 follow that, ends on Rt 85 (Rt 28), turn right onto Rt 28, and follow directions from Frederick (below).
Directions from Frederick: Drive down Rt 85 (turns into Rt 28), Warning: Watch for the Speed Camera, comes up fast, turn right on Rt 109, cross Rt 107 (Fisher Ave) to Elgin Rd.
Directions from Gaithersburg, Rockville, Washington DC and points east and south: Drive north on Rt 28, take the fork left onto Rt 107 (Whites Ferry). Follow that to the roadblock (Warning: Watch for the Speed Camera just before Poolesville). Turn left on Wooton Ave and right on Elgin Rd or continue to W Willard Rd and turn right, then right into the field.
Giving Ride and Drives: Some of you may want to provide rides to the public or allow the public to drive your cars. We think this is a great way for the public to understand why we are all so excited about electric vehicles. We will have special parking for you on the lot between the tent areas. Dealerships and Manufacturers can move and park their cars on Elgin Rd, once the parade ends around 11:15 am (but not until then!). Please note: giving rides or drives is totally up to you, we do not provide insurance. It is your responsibility to ensure that all drivers are licensed and are not under the influence of drugs or alcohol. The easiest route is “around the block”. Drive down Elgin, right on Wooton, right on W Willard, right on Fisher, right back on to Elgin.
Check-In: Everyone must check-in at the “Check-In” Tent when they arrive, even if you have pre-registered (If you have not, please do: https://poolesville.green/NDEW. We will ask for your email (for next year’s event) and you will get a “Swag Bag”, an event T-Shirt, and raffle tickets. If you have not claimed your shirt by 3 pm, we may no longer have it or at least one in your requested size.
Vendors, VIP Visitors, Media, Manufacturers, and Dealerships:
Non-EV Parking: We have a limited number of easy access parking spots for non-electric vehicles. Please contact me on how many spots you will need and for what time periods. Trucks and additional Non-EV parking will be available at the High School (at the end of Elgin Rd, across Wootton Ave).
Setup: You can set up as early as Friday evening, but there will be no overnight security. Staff will be on-site by 7:30 am and able to direct where to go. The first cars are expected by 9:30 am and the event begins at 10 am.
Access: You can unload cars and trucks on the site up to 9:45 am. No non-EV access will be granted after 10 am.
Breakdown: The event officially ends at 4 pm. Staff will be on hand and will let you know if breakdown can be done earlier.
What Should I Bring?: Bring yourself, bring your friends. If you bring pets, they must be well behaved with people and other pets, must be on leashes and you have to clean up after them. Bring rain gear, boots, a change of clothes maybe, shoes. You can bring chairs, coolers, snacks if you like. Dare I say, Sunblock! Do NOT bring alcohol (although there are 3 bars in town and a nearby outside bar tent, you cannot take drinks outside those areas). You will NOT be able to do any test drives if you have been drinking any alcohol prior to this day. Do not bring firearms or lethal weapons of any kind (in other words use common sense).
Free Raffle Drawings: There will be two drawings. an open to the general public (and you all) at 2:30 pm and registered drivers only at 3:30 pm. You will not need to be present to win any of the major prizes, but if you win and you are not there, you may need to come by Poolesville at an arranged date and time to pick it up or pay for shipping (or you can donate your prize back to Poolesville Green).
Other Activities: Poolesville Day! The National Drive Electric Week (NDEW) is only part of this extravaganza. Route 107 (Fisher Ave is closed to traffic for more than a 1/2 mile south of our event and is filled with 10-15,000 people enjoying all kinds of activities. We partner with the town and work as part of the Poolesville Day Committee. So, take a break from the NDEW activities and enjoy what’s around you. At the far end is the Classic Car Show and right next store, Bassett’s is doing a lot to help us continue to have fun well into the night. So have fun, be responsible :). You have the best parking spot for the biggest event of the year.
Photos and Videos: If you have a Google account, I will set up soon a shared site to upload photos and videos. These may be used in social or print media to promote our event today and in the future. I will try to give the credit/byline when possible and practical. (you can see past years at https://photos.app.goo.gl/5FWZ2o3hC3LVCipj8, https://photos.app.goo.gl/3kRVo9EFP4CWZbeA8, and https://photos.app.goo.gl/fzlhu63eD6AMMhOE2).